Archive for the ‘Railways’ Category

milk churns, horsted keynes, bluebell railway

Milk Churns at Horsted Keynes Station on the Bluebell Railway

Daughter Anna Gryce had great success at the Lambeth Horticultural Society Spring Show on 6 April 2013. Her exhibit in the ‘Nostalgia’ photographic class won first prize and the best in show!

The photograph was taken at Horsed Keynes railway station on the Bluebell Railway heritage line in West Sussex, and the image converted to monochrome. It elicits a bygone era when milk was brought from local farms and taken up to London by train. Hence the ‘milk train’, a train that ran very early in the morning to transport milk but which also carried passengers.

In the ‘Flowers in Spring’ class, Anna’s exhibit, a tint enhanced image of bluebells in a wood, won first prize. But it has no connection with the location of her’ Nostalgia’ entry.

In the Summer 2013 issue of the LHS newsletter, the editor said about the photos, ‘the standard has been set!’

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

A Great Eastern Railway carriage served as the waiting room at Ashdon Halt

A Great Eastern Railway carriage served as the waiting room at Ashdon Halt

A single track branch line of the Great Eastern Railway from Audley End to Bartlow via Saffron Walden, a distance of seven and a quarter miles, was opened in 1866. The line went through the village of Ashdon, five miles to the east of Saffron Walden. However, it wasn’t until 1911, following a local campaign that the residents of Ashdon were given a halt, with a platform constructed of raised earth and clinker with a front of old sleepers. In 1916, an old Great Eastern Railway carriage with a largely wooden body, was mounted on the platform as a waiting room.

Diesel railcar at Ashdon Halt

Diesel railcar at Ashdon Halt

From July 1958, the line was operated by railcars, which were carriages with built-in diesel engines. They were seen as a low-cost solution to keeping open lines with small numbers of passengers, but in 1963 the Beeching Report listed the line for closure. The line was closed to passengers the year after on 7 September 1964, and to freight three months later, and the track was lifted in 1968. Remarkably, the platform and ‘waiting room’ room are still largely intact.

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts